Rule Breakers



My first grade teacher Mrs. Callahan used to call words that didn't sound the same way they are spelled "rule breakers"...I guess because rule breakers are words that don't really follow the rules we teach in phonics. Last year I noticed that my students were having difficulty spelling the words was and get, so I decided to reintroduce those words as rule breakers--and we stuck those words in jail!!! They loved it! I think the visual of seeing the word behind the little bars stuck with them like it did with me so LONG AGO! After that, every time they came across a word that wasn't spelled the way it sounded, they would say, "OOOOH! Rule breaker! Let's put it in jail!" So thanks for teaching me about rule breakers, Mrs. Callahan. Maybe my students will remember it forever too!
You have just read the article entitled Rule Breakers. Please read the article from Fashion About more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://roganayres.blogspot.com/2010/07/rule-breakers.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment